Thursday, December 4, 2008

Theologians they don't know nothing about my soul- Jeff Tweedy

I have a confession to make. Although I am a committed Unitarian Universalist (UU) who has had a number of leadership positions in my congregation, I know very little about UU theology, or about theology in general. I can't say for sure where my personal beliefs lie, only that they lie somewhere in that wide chasm between athiesm and theism called agnosticism. Although I do read spiritually oriented books, in all honesty, I read 3-4 times as many politically oriented books, and about as many sports related books. What theology I do have is cobbled together from a wide variety of sources that grab and speak to me individually, but do not coalesce into anything coherent.

I think that overall, my lack of a coherent theology is a good thing. I do have a series of deeply held beliefs, even if I can't always speak to their intellectual or spiritual justification. Like Emerson, I believe that I am the best judge of my life and my place in the world.

I think in many ways, my lack of a coherent theology mirrors that of many other UU's. Still though, that lack of a coherent theology is the reason Unitarian Universalism is such a transient religion, why so many people who join eventually leave. Is it possible to nourish spiritually without a coherent theology? The religions that attract the most people seem to have the most concrete theologies, the easist answers. Easy answers have a strong appeal in a complex world, and religious fundamentalism is on the rise. How can we make the spiritually complex as appealing and nourishing as the simple theology of fundamentalism? I'm not sure that's a question we can afford to leave to the theologians.

No comments: