Friday, December 12, 2008

Why isn't Milk playing in any theatre closer than Brookline?




I'm really confused about this. Milk went into nationwide release last Friday, yet there are only two theatres in all of Rhode Island and Massachusetts that are playing the movie, both obscure art house theatres in and around Boston. This is a movie with oscar buzz, famous stars (Sean Penn, James Franco, and Emile Hirsch), and a famous director (Gus Van Zandt). It is also the most highly anticipated movie amongst my friends in quite some time. Now, I'll grant you I live in an uber-progressive, uber pro-gay rights bubble, but still, the movie has at least as much buzz as Brokeback Mountain. Maybe there is some rational reason why I have to drive an hour to see this movie, but I haven't heard it yet. I don't know if theatres are limiting the release of Milk for political reasons, but if they are, than the implications scare the hell out of me.

No comments: