Tuesday, December 16, 2008

thinking about facebook, part two

One of the unique things about facebook is that it creates a common virtual culture. I recently saw Neil Young and Wilco in concert in Worcester, MA. I was able to discuss the event with people in other cities who either had just seen the concert, or going to the concert in a few days. The next night, I went to a beer dinner at Julians that featured some very rare and exceptional beers. I was able to share information with another handful of friends who are beer connoisseurs. Just this morning, I was able to commiserate with people who share my habit of shopping at the last possible minute!

Frequently, this information comes in the form of status updates, whereby people publicly broadcast (to their friends and networks) what they are doing at any particular moment in time.

We are a culture increasingly open to, and suportive of, public disclosure. When I talk to my parents or other people of their generation, I'm struck by the stark differences between what they consider publicly acceptable disclosure, and what I do. To my parents' generation, personal information is a closely guarded secret, only doled out slowly to the closest of friends and family, if at all. It is rude and in bad taste to discuss personal information, even with close friends. It is a sign of weakness to talk about your feelings, even with a spouse. Even therapy is considered an uncomfortable public disclosure. My generation, and younger generations to an even greater degree, feels much more comfortable talking about both feelings and personal information.

I'm not entirely sure if this line between public and private discourse is constantly shifting toward public discourse or oscillating back and forth between the two. Maybe I should go back and read Foucault to find some clues. I'm not going to be an alarmist that shouts the world is going to hell because of a paradigm shift. When society changes, something is always lost, but something more is usually gained.

No comments: