Friday, January 2, 2009

The joys of the American health care system

This morning, I went to a private medical treatment center for my elbow, which had a small radial fracture. I should have gone 2-3 days ago, but I waited till today because I didn't want to spend the rest of my deductable from last year, and then spend it again for this year. Granted, it was my choice to wait 2 days and suffer a little discomfort rather than spend an extra $150, but for many, it's not a choice, it's an economic necessity.

While I was waiting to be seen, a women came into the center with her elderly parents for shingles shots. Her parents had medicare and medicaid. She was told that the shots were not covered by medicare, and she would have to pay $265 for each parent, no, wait, $300 after a nebulous "medicare visitaion fee" was added. The woman and her parents seemed distraught. She had been assured the shots would be covered.

While I was checking in, another woman came in. Her private medical insurance denied partial payment for her visit, and she now owed over $500, which she did not have. She was very distraught and angry. The woman at the desk told me that she thought it was awful the insurance company didn't pay, but that there was nothing she could do.

These are the choices we have in a profits driven health care. Do I spend two days in pain and discomfort or pay an extra $150? Do I pay $600 for my parents to get necessary shots or hold my breath and hope they don't get shingles this year. Will the woman who owes $500 get treatment the next time a health concern comes up? Are these the questions we want people asking about their health?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dan, I hear you.

We have an HSA. When the doc called to say he thought he saw a spot and wanted to see more digital imagery, my first reaction was NOT to get out the phone book and call around to see if another company charged less than Women and Infants for the follow-up.

Hope your elbow heals quickly!