Monday, January 12, 2009

Obama and Progressive Expections

Since the election, I've heard frustration from a lot of progressives, both on this forum and off, with President-Elect Obama. They feel Obama is not addressing the concerns of the progressive community. In some ways I share those frustrations. Like many progressives, I have large disagreements with Obama on health care, on tax structure, on fiscal policy, and on foreign policy. I am a strong proponent of marriage equality, and am disappointed by Obama's stance on this issue. He has chosen a relatively centrist cabinet with many Clinton (and one Bush) holdovers.

I knew his positions and expected his centrist cabinet choices when I canvassed and phoned for Obama this summer and fall. I knew these things when I cried election night. I will know these things when I cry during his inauguration, and I will know these things when I enthusiastically support his campaign in 2012.

Many progressives believe, because they devoted so much time and energy to the Obama campaign, that Obama should govern in a progressive manner. I have/had no such expectations. I have hopes. I think Obama has a chance to pass some bold regulation, and chart new territory for energy policy and infrastructure investment. I think that Obama has a chance to restore rule of law and a spirit of international cooperation with other nations. I don't realistically believe that Obama will (or can) implement a progressive agenda. In 2008, that's a progressive pipe dream.

But progressive pipe dreams can come true. In 1970, the year I was born, it was a pipe dream that a black man could become president. It was a pipe dream that gays and lesbians could be married in any state, let alone two neighboring ones. Those things didn't happen by accident, they happened because people made it happen, with their sweat, their tears, and their blood. So today's pipe dreams; economic justice, universal health care, fair tax policy, and the humanization of all people, may not happen in 2012, but 2040 isn't so far away.

I view President Obama as a link in that chain to make the today's pipe dreams tomorrow's reality, just as this election is the realization of yesterday's pipe dreams. I expect Obama to listen to progressives, to hear OUR voices, and be supportive when we transform our vision of the world into enactable policy. I expect him to articulate a vision of the United States that includes progressive values. I have great hope that he will do these things, and they will bear fruits in the years to come.

We progressives need to realize that NO president, is going to enact the policies we want to see enacted......today. There is no easy. There is no saviour. There is no magic button. Just our blood, sweat, and tears, and hopefully a president who will listen closely when we are loud enough and true enough and strong enough.

No comments: