Friday, January 23, 2009

Thinking about kids and inequity

A few hours ago, I was sitting in an office waiting to meet a student at the Moses Brown School. On ther table, there was a thick glossy magazine called "Rustic Pathways", that offered, for a few thousand dollars, diverse vacations for high school students in the far corners of the world. The magazine was filled with pictures of smiling, fresh scrubbed kids riding elephants, learning languages, building houses, and carrying water to villages. It sounds like an amazing experience, the kind of experience that can open eyes and change lives, for those few lucky enough to afford such a trip.

Although I am not employed by the school, I spend most of my days at the Moses Brown School, a quaker school that offers rigorous academics and progressive values for the children of affluence. Part of me wishes I could say these kids were spoiled brats who don't deserve their good fortune, and although one or two may approach that definition, the vast majority of the kids I work with are great kids. They are smart, curious, and kind. They are thoughtful and serious. They have aspirations, goals, and dreams. They are respectful, yet not afraid to speak their mind. They are exactly the kinds of kids I hope mine would be someday, should I ever have kids.

Recently, President and Michelle Obama enrolled their children at a very similar school to Moses Brown, Sidwell Friends, another expensive, private quaker school. Sashia and Malia will be given the love, support and opportunities to be great kids. I cannot blame the Obamas, or any parents, for wanting the best for their children. After spending 5 years here, it would be hard for me to believe that a school like Moses Brown isn't in the best interest for every kid. Sure, I have some questions about curriculum and structure, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Yet, the fantastic opportunities Rustic Pathways and Moses Brown offer are only available to the wealthy or the very talented. Most kids, and especially our most vulnerable kids, don't get that benefit. I can't blame any parent for wanting to send their kid to a school like Moses Brown, and if I were a parent, in all honesty, I would too.

There is injustice in this system, yet it's hard to find the blame. As a student, I experienced a different kind of private school, whose focus was creating even greater economic opportunities for its students and maintain the status quo. It was easy to find the blame there, but what about schools that teach progressive values, provide scholarships for deserving bstudents, yet still cater to those the lucky few. That's a harder nut to crack. No answers here, just questions.

No comments: